Click here to check this post out on my personal website.
I feel like this post is early, but I have nothing better to do with my time. A new season is upon us, so let’s get into the details. As usual, the summary is at the bottom.
- Ahiru no Sora – We start things off with a toss-up. I often have trouble getting into sports shows, so I don’t have any idea what type of show this is. I think basketball is an interesting sport, though, so that might count for something.
- Hataage! Kemono Michi – So, isekai show with a professional wrestler? At first glance, I don’t find this particularly appealing, but the synopsis certainly makes the series sound like a silly one. I might check it out to see if the comedy works.
- Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru – As far as silly isekai premises go, this seems more my speed. I’m not sure how well an obsessive guy can carry a series, but it might be worth checking out.
- Honzuki no Gekokujou – Finally, we have something familiar. I read the manga for this series, and I think it’s great. It doesn’t really have a solid plot to move forward, unless you count the main character’s quest to read books, but I think it still delivers some strong emotional scenes.
- Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo – Can I skip this?
- Houkago Saikoro – I mean, I enjoy playing board games, so I think this could be an interesting concept. It looks like a pretty simple “cute girls playing board games” show, so I’m not sure what else to make of it.
- Choujin Koukousei-tachi wa Isekai demo Yoyuu de Ikiniku you desu – I guess it’s not hard to guess what kind of show this is from its title. To be fair, I’ve read the manga for this series, and I didn’t mind it. It takes the standard isekai premise and shifts it slightly by sending a larger cast to the new world and making them overpowered before they arrive.
- Azur Lane – It looks like this is the start of the mobage block. Somehow, we managed to get three of the big mobile games in the same season, which is crazy. To be honest, I never made it through the Kantai Collection adaptation, so I’m not sure how well I’ll fair with this one. I wonder if this will just get me talking about the game itself, rather than its story.
- Chuubyou Gekihatsu Boy – Wait, is this a reverse harem filled with chuunibyou characters? Phew, that’s a hard sell.
- Granblue Fantasy the Animation Season 2 – Well, the first season of this series got me curious enough to try the game, and it’s basically the main mobile game I play these days. I don’t know if that does anything to sell the series, but it certainly confirms that I’ll be watching it. Just the fact that Ferry, Vira, and Orchid are on the cover art is already a good sign.
- Mairimashita Iruma-kun – Why does this story sound so familiar? I guess the tone seems a lot more like slapstick comedy, but the idea seems familiar.
- Val x Love – This looks like a pass. This premise almost reminds me of Trinity Seven.
- Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia – At some point, I need to get around to watching the episode that was already released. That aside, Babylonia is one of the final chapters in the game’s story, so I wonder what prompted the skip. I should probably have paid more attention while I was playing.
- Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai – I still think this series is fun, so I’ll probably be watching the second season.
- Kono Oto Tomare S2 – Once again, I enjoyed the first season, so I look forward to seeing what happens in the second season. If I remember correctly, the first season had a weird stopping point, so I might have to go back and refresh my memory.
- Keishichou Tokumu-bu Tokushu Kyouaku-han Taisaku-Shitsu Dai-Nana-la -Tokunana- – Is this really not a light novel adaptation? I feel like I’ve watched many similar cop show concepts, but I guess this show is trying to make it different with dragons.
- Fairy Gone S2 – Do I have to?
- Babylon – I can only suspect that this will be confusing in a season that includes a Fate series with a similar name. The premise for this series sounds like it could be interesting, though. It reminds me a bit of ACCA, which was fun.
- Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle – Well, I often find myself watching video game adaptations, and this one is a game I was considering playing.
- Stand My Heroes: Piece of Truth – I’m really not sure what I’m supposed to make of this premise, but it sounds to me like I’m going to be watching the main character ingest narcotics often. Why else would her resistance to the effects be relevant?
- Watashi, Nyouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne – I’ve been meaning to read the light novel for this series, so maybe I should take the anime as advertisement.
- Beastars – I’ve never been into anthropomorphic characters, but this synopsis seems promising. I might consider it.
- Assassin’s Pride – Hmm, pure fantasy show about an assassin. I like this idea already.
- No Guns Life – I don’t mind the idea behind this series, but the fact that the main character has a gun for a head seems like too much of a gimmick. I’ll check it out, but yeesh.
- Shokugeki no Souma: Shin no Sara – I’m sure we know what to expect at this point.
- Kabukichou Sherlock – This is probably the worst synopsis in this chart (out of the shows that actually have a synopsis). If it’s a procedural mystery with some light comedy, I might be into that, but who knows?
- Boku no Hero Academia S4 – Sure, why not?
- Sword Art Online Alicization – War of Underworld – Uhh, I didn’t actually finish the first season, so I can’t really comment.
- Rifle is Beautiful – Man, I can’t imagine why this club was disbanded.
- Chihayafuru S3 – Phew, when was the last time this series aired? I’ve been keeping up with the manga in the meantime, so I’m looking forward to this. I sure hope I haven’t forgotten too much.
- Pet – My first thought with this premise is that it sounds vaguely similar to Inception, especially with the whole idea of learning how to protect your subconscious. It’s an interesting idea, so I’d be willing to give it a shot.
- Psycho-Pass 3 – Season 2 really didn’t inspire a lot of confidence.
General thoughts – This season seems to have a strange mix to it. The mobage mix is definitely throwing me for a loop, especially since I play all of these games for once. Maybe I’ll have to draft some posts comparing the games themselves to see if I can get some friends in-game. When you set those aside, a surprising number of shows in this season are sequels, many of which for older shows. It makes me wonder just how much I’ll have to talk about overall, but we’ll have to see. What are you excited about?
Potentially covering – Honzuki no Gekokujou, Babylon, Assassin’s Pride
Definitely watching – Choujin Koukousei-tachi wa Isekai demo Yoyuu de Ikiniku you desu, Azur Lane, Granblue Fantasy S2, Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai, Kono Oto Tomare, Stand My Heroes, No Guns Life, Kabukichou Sherlock, Chihayafuru S3
Maybe watching – Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru, Houkago Saikoro, Fate/Grand Order Babylonia, Phantasy Star Online 2
Information and images pulled from LiveChart.