Click here to check this post out on my personal website.
Sorry for the simple post today. If you’re following me on Twitter, you might know that I’m in Finland this week for work. It’s been a pretty busy week and I’ve done the best I can to stay on top of my blog posts. Unfortunately, I’ve had no time to myself today, so I’m gonna have to get creative. Given my recent post about blogging principles, I felt like it was worth explaining myself today.
My philosophy is to always get something out to show. It might be shallow, but I feel like I’m missing out otherwise on opportunities to try new things. As such, I tend to have plans in place when I know I’m going to have trouble getting a post ready. Today happens to be one of those few moments when I really have nothing (they’re not hard to spot if you look for filler posts in my past).
Anyway, I plan to get back on track tomorrow with Sakurada Reset. Hopefully it all works out.
Not much for today. Just a filler post.
I really don’t want to cover Absolute Duo. If nothing else comes out by tomorrow morning, I’ll do it…otherwise, I’m just skipping it. On an unrelated note, I’ve made some minor performance improvements on the site that I hope help. I know the images are still scaled, but I tried fixing that and it didn’t really change load speed too much when I first tested it. I’ll be testing that some more before I commit to it.
I’m feeling pretty sick today and it doesn’t look like there are any new releases for me to cover today, so I’m going to make this one quick if I can. I noticed that Absolute Duo has been out, but not yet subbed. I’ll probably end up doing a first impressions post for it because of the lack of options…This time of year is way too painful for me. I feel like I’m just desperately stalling.
Getting my brother interested in anime has been going well so far. He just finished watching both FMA adaptations and is currently working on Attack on Titan. He doesn’t just take recommendations from me, though, so his choices can be a bit weird, but his final opinions tend to be similar to mine. He actually asked me whether he should watch Guilty Crown…I considered letting him watch it, but decided it might be too painful.
Zestiria coming out yesterday was pretty convenient, but I’m not really feeling anything available for me to watch today, so I’m back to filler (still pretty tired too). Also, my apartment’s internet connection has been dicey today because of the snow, so there’s that. This post’s theme: Doing anime-ish-related stuff on Android
- This may have just been a rookie mistake on my part, but I downloaded the If My Heart Had Wings game for Android because it was free and I was curious…boy was that a mistake. The app restricts the progress you can make in the game per day with a resource called Wing (I’m assuming the Steam version isn’t dumb enough to do this). I could barely get through a single conversation per day, so I ended up trying to save some up and eventually reached a point where I was told that the rest of the game wasn’t even available yet (I don’t even think all the characters had been introduced yet).
- Watching anime on my Android phone: Mostly, I use DicePlayer…so far, it’s had the most consistency for playing softsubbed anime. It still goes crazy when typesetting is involved, but at least the video plays. I know the new VLC app just came out too, so that will probably be my next test subject. Or maybe I should just watch everything on the Crunchyroll app…
- I have yet to find a manga-reader that works to my liking. Manga Rock is what I use, but even it has its issues (slow downloads, no way to mark chapters as unread, chapters that are deleted on the source become impossible to delete through the app). Other tested apps that were rejected: Manga Galaxy (this one wasn’t that bad, but it’s been removed from the Play Store), Aizoban, MangaCloud (also removed), Comic Reader. Almost makes me want to make my own…but that’s crazy talk.
This will probably end up being the last post like this. Tomorrow, I’ll be back home, so I can actually watch stuff. Hopefully, the extra time on the plane helps with the whole “watching stuff” goal. Anyway, on to the bullets!
- What the heck should I watch? More than likely, I’m going to try to watch an anime movie on the plane that I can sorta review.
- Shows I started this season, but didn’t finish: Cross Ange, Gundam: G no Reconguista, Denki-gai no Honya-san (why did I even start this?), Amagi Brilliant Park (I’m actually pretty close, though). Not a great performance, but it’s better than last season (let’s not talk about last season’s dropped shows, though).
I still don’t really have too much time to spend on a post today (meeting with some of my family’s Chinese friends for lunch/dinner…not too fun), so another quick set of bullets will have to do. Tomorrow will probably be the same because I’ll be on an airplane all day.
- Anything fun happen on New Year’s? I spent New Year’s trying to see the Shanghai light show by the river…failed miserably because way too many Chinese people were there (apparently, some people died because of the crowding). If it helps, this is a picture of the Shanghai skyline that I took while we were out walking (I know I suck with cameras):
- And no, I’m not planning on watching Tsukimonogatari. I’m still behind with the Monogatari stuff.
Probably going to have two or three more days of posts like this due to lack of Parasyte episode this week and inconsistent access to the Internet. More random bullets (the non-lethal kind)!
- The lack of mysteries in airing anime has forced me to turn towards American TV shows like Castle, Forever, and Person of Interest (which doesn’t really count). Reading manga has been sorta helping with this.
- Site-related things: currently thinking about ways to improve the performance issues with this blog, but I’m still open to other visual suggestions. Also, websites are hard.
- Now, I should probably switch to anime-related things. What shows are people excited about for the next season? I think Assassination Classroom will be okay, but I’m way too “in the dark” about everything else.