Click here to check this post out on my personal website.
The season’s roughly wrapping up, so I figured I’d go ahead and write this. It’s about that time. As always, the summary’s at the bottom.
- Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II – I barely remember the first season for this series, so I’m on the fence for the second season. I don’t remember having the best impression of the first season. Either way, I doubt I’d write anything about it.
- Dr. Stone – I tried reading the manga for this series a while back, and I didn’t get too far with it. I got the impression that the series tries to oversell its “science” angle, which didn’t appeal to me much. And despite being a post-apocalyptic setting, I feel like the characters are too ridiculous for me to take seriously. Who knows? Maybe manga just wasn’t the proper medium for me to experience this story.
- Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou – I’ve read a decent amount of the manga for this series, and it’s not a bad concept. It perhaps gets closer to “edgy” than it should, but I liked the idea of the protagonist literally crawling his way back up after being cast out as useless.
- Vinland Saga – I might pick this series up as my historical fiction series of the season. I’ve seen the manga everywhere in bookstores, but I’ve never taken the plunge and read it.
- Enen no Shouboutai – To be honest, I don’t particularly find the firefighting aspect of this series to be too appealing. It seems to have a fairly standard setup for its genre, so I’m a bit hesitant. Maybe I’ll end up picking between it and Dr. Stone.
- Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator – To be fair, I preferred Railgun over Index, so I might end up giving this series a shot since it’s in the same setting.
- Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 2 – I’m surprised this series got a second season, but I think I’ve made my thoughts on the first season pretty clear. It’s based on a manga that I eventually got tired of reading, so I don’t know if I’ll follow along on the anime side.
- Lord El-Melloi II-sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note – I never got around to watching the OVA episode that came out for this, but I’m sure I’ll have time before the series airs. Assuming this is actually a full series rather than a single episode, I’d be down to watch it. A mystery revolving around Waver Velvet seems fun.
- Isekai Cheat Magician – Once again, I’ve read the manga for this series (I’m really painting my manga tastes into a corner, aren’t I?). It’s kind of an interesting take where the main characters are each imbued with extreme ability in very different aspects of the magic in the world.
- Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru – Ahem…seems wholesome.
- Tsuujou Kougeki ga Zentai Kougeki de Ni-kai Kougeki no Okaasan wa Suki desu ka? – I suppose this series gets the long title award of the season (though, it’s a close race). It’s kind of a funny concept, having to deal with your own mother within a game.
- Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasu ka? – This feels like a familiar concept for some reason. Anyway, it seems pretty goofy, so I might just have to judge from watching the first episode. I got nothing.
- Maou-sama, Retry! – It’s another familiar concept, but it looks like it might be worth a shot. Wow, there really is a lot of fantasy settings in this season.
- Kanata no Astra – I have a bad feeling about this. Honestly, I like the idea of watching a class attempt to survive in space with limited resources, so I’m very likely going to watch the series. However, this visual style brings back memories of Girly Air Force for some reason, and that didn’t go great.
- Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo – Sure, why not? It seems wacky enough.
- Naka no Hito Genome [Jikkyouchuu] – I’m really not looking forward to watching another death game given how much I’ve been burned in the past. I might be receptive to being convinced to try this one, but I’m not currently planning on it.
- Uchi no Ko no Tame Naraba, Ore wa Moshikashitara Maou mo Taoseru Kamo Shirenai – I’m going to gush a lot about this series because I really enjoyed the light novel. It’s pretty much a fluff series set in a fantasy world, but I found the world and characters to be particularly compelling. It’s a series tries to ground itself in some very real issues, so it’s perhaps not as bright as it might seem at times.
- Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV – I’m only leaving this in here to note that I didn’t expect this series to go on as long as it has. I haven’t seen recent seasons, so I’m probably not watching this one.
- BEM – From the premise alone, I’m not sure where the horror tag is coming from. It sounds like an interesting concept alone, but that tag makes me think it’s just going to be grotesque display of discrimination. Perhaps the main characters are involved in some gruesome murders or something. It’s hard to say.
- Given – I typically enjoy slice of life series that revolve around music. What could go wrong?
- Cop Craft – I don’t generally mind buddy cop anime, so I’ll probably try this series out. I would be lying if I said that the sci-fi aspect of it wasn’t appealing as well.
- Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e – I’m having a hard time with this concept after being burned by Fairy Gone, which seems very similar. I’ll consider checking it out, I suppose.
- Granbelm – It feels like it’s been a while since I watched a mecha series. What could go wrong?
- Joshikousei no Mudazukai – I don’t have much to comment based on this premise alone. It looks like it could be a fun concept for a comedy series.
- Machikado Mazoku – It’s a simplistic setup, but I’m guessing this is meant to be a gag anime. It might be worth checking out for something lighthearted in this season.
- Kochoki: Wakaki Nobunaga – I’ll probably hold out and see how this series pans out. The whole “bold interpretation” bit is really sticking with me, and I’m suspicious.
- Try Knights – This feels like a hard pass for me. I’m not particularly interested in rugby as a sport.
General thoughts – This season feels a lot more fantasy-heavy than some previous ones. It’s a genre I like, so it’s not like I have problem with that. As an overall approach, I’m probably going to try to watch fewer shows overall, but we’ll see how that goes. I feel like I say that every season.
Potentially covering – Lord El-Melloi II-sei no Jikenbo, Vinland Saga
Definitely watching – Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou, Isekai Cheat Magician, Tsuujou Kougeki ga Zenai Kougeki, Kanata no Astra, Uchi no Ko no Tame Nareba, Given
Maybe watching – Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator, Maou-sama Retry, Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo, BEM, Cop Craft, Granbelm, Joshikousei no Mudazukai, Machikado Mazoku
Information and images pulled from Anichart.